Sunday, 7 June 2009

walkabout & sea salt spa bar


'Walkabout' soap - with soap-trailed dots


Well....i had to have a play with the left overs didn't I?!

'Walkabout' and 'SeaSalt Spa Bar'


flippy SeaSalt Spa Bar
These are what I made yesterday, and are now ready for the cut...can't wait - off to do that in a mo.
I have been meaning to soap trail for a long time - after watching Matt and other potters do slip-trailing with wet slip. I thought 'I could do that with soap', and here we are.
I've always loved aboriginal art, and this was my inspiration for 'Walkabout', though I have to admit Ray Mears goes Walkabout was on TV yesterday afternoon so it all kinda came together after watching that.
In 'Walkabout' I have added an essential oil combo of Tea Tree (of course), Pine, Clary Sage & Geranium. I used Australian Organic Yellow & Red Clays too.
In 'SeaSalt Spa Bar' I have used Ylang Ylang, Grapefruit & Lavender - it smells very similar to Lush's 'Sea Vegetable' - without even a hint of 'parfum'!
Added to this are coarse sea salt, cut kelp and the layer on the bottom is dead sea mud.
A lot of thought and effort went into these hunks of soap and I'm very pleased with the turnout.
Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go and ruin them somewhat - well you can't use a 12lb bar of soap can you...?
Oh, yes...and check this out...a lovely lady put me in her Etsy Treasury here - the paper potter...who'da thunk it?!


7 comments:

TeresaR said...

The Walkabout soap is very cool...reminds me of ancient Roman mosaics!

Gary Rith Pottery Blog said...

I dunno, a 12 pound bar of soap could be fun, it sure is beautiful!

Joanna said...

these are realllly pretty, sweets. That last one makes me think of marshmallow pie. mmm

You are so wildly creative that I decided you were perfect for the Kreativ Award. Read about it on my blog.
http://thesoapbar.blogspot.com/2009/06/kreativ-blogger-award.html

keep it going, Missy. xo Let other people know you think they are creative. Keep the love moving....
JO

Hannah said...

just seen the trailed soap! looks like you had fun. marvelous.
h
will we see you at the weekend?

Molly said...

Wow, the patience it must have took for that Walkabout batch....beautiful!

FuturePrimitive said...

hi molly

not too much actually...just a case of pouring v. lightly traced soap into 5 cups, and adding oxides to each...then trailing dots in a snake-like fashion. It really didn't take that long, honest! I aim to do more like it though..so am doing a bit of research.
xx

Dead Sea Products said...

Sea salt spa bar really works for me. This solid salt scrub and soap combination that will gently exfoliate and soften your skin.