Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Elijah's Comfort reVAMP and something smells fishy...ish


New look 'Elijah's Comfort'. Elijah Comfort was Matt's Great Great Grandfather and was a potter at Winchcome. He made fine country pots using red earthenware clay. His name is a treasure in itself, so it was only fitting that I produced a soap in homage to him.
The original soap I made under this name was scented with an artificial rose fragrance oil. It smelled lovely, but I wanted to produce an all natural version using red clay, essential oils and organic butters.
Here we have it. The essential oil blend is: Bourbon Geranium, Petitgrain, Sweet Orange & Lemon. A sweet scent with a citrus top note. I added a dose of rose petals to the red to bring a little black into the equation along with a smidge of titanium dioxide for contrast.
I love how it turned out. It will be available from FuturePrimitive Soap and in my Etsy within the next 4 weeks.


nice chunky swirls and peaks. I just wanna sink my teeth in.


Here is another newbie. One without a name as yet. This soap contains seaweed powder, which when cut gave off a fish-like aroma. Noice!
It's curing out well at the moment, with little or no hints of fish as the days progress. Also in this batch, I added some Aussie organic yellow clay, and some dead sea mud mixed with sand, which I took from Gwithian beach in Cornwall last year, whilst on holibobs. On the top is a sprinkling of sea salt. The essential oil blend is: Lavender, Spearmint and Ho Leaf. Ho Leaf has fast become one of my all time favoured oils to use in soap. It has a buttery, warm scent. Just lovely.
I want to dream up a name to compliment the main ingredients...so something ocean inspired but not too obvious. I'll keep writing down ideas til I get it. This one is proving difficult though.


The beige colour is the yellow clay, the very dark colour is the seaweed, which must've reacted with the soap as it started out a nice olive green. The lighter colour is the dead sea mud and sand mix.

I've been rather tied up of late with making soap and sorting plants for the season, so sorry for my absence. I am however tweeting regularly...the usual shite that I churn out of my mouth!
Come follow me if you dare!
Hope you're all well and happy.
Catch up with you all soon x

16 comments:

innerearthsoaps said...

Nice work Tiggy! My Salt Spa soap has seawood in it too and gives off that fishy aroma when cutting ... not pleasant! Loving the new look Elijah soap.

Teresa said...

Gorgeous as usual!

kat said...

yow! gorgeous Tiggy, just gorgeous!

seriously. Yyeeeeeooooowwww!

Amy W said...

I tried some spirulina powder once - too fishy smelling for me! Even after the cure, it didn't seem right. The layers are lovely, and the sand is a great addition!

Never heard of Ho Leaf. Now I'll have to look it up!

Amy W said...

Had to do some research to find Ho Leaf. I believe it is also called White Camphor? If so, I have some! Never thought of it as buttery. Now I'll have to go sniff it again!

Amber said...

Gorgeous! I would buy fishy smelling soap if it looked like that. ;) I just adore all your layers and different colors and swirly goodness. ♥

Artisan Soaps said...

Elijah's Comfort looks gorgeous, and I bet it smells great too!

FuturePrimitive said...

hey all.
thanks for the compliments! they just spur me on to make more & more so keep em coming!
Amy...Ho Leaf comes from the leaves of the Hon Sho variety of the cinnamomum camphora plant. It has no camphor notes in it at all but rather a sweet, balsamic buttery smell. Ho Wood oil has camphor undertones and true Camphor smells like disinfectant and can be harmful to skin and is known to cause vomiting etc. All come under the name of cinnamomum camphora, but each oil comes from different camphor plant groups or parts. try the ho leaf..it's heaven!

Alexandra Mason said...

They look wonderful xx

Topcat said...

Mmmmmmm -they both look so luscious! Your soaps always look good enough to eat :D

Joanna said...

Elijah's Comfort looks like a glazed pot, well done!

And the new one looks like cut fudge, I swear soap looks like fudge to me half the time, so when they are in those colors, I salivate. ;) I love your sensibilities, Tigger.

Monica said...

This Soap is precious, the colors are amazing, fantastic.

Anne-Marie said...

Love the colors and swirls of the Elijah's Comfort Soap. The fragrance sounds fab too!

FuturePrimitive said...

thanks peeps x more on the way. I'm on a roll at the mo!

Bullfrogs & Butterflies Baby said...

Elijah's Comfort is gorgeous! Like a beautiful glazed pot...your latest reminds me of a walk on the beach with layers of beige and black sand (though I like Joanna's reference to fudge...always yummy!).

Hannah said...

Funny how that new ELijah's one really appeals, why do you think that would be? I was going to give the last one I got from you away at Christmas but it seems to have accidently stayed on the side of our bath - oops!