Sunday, 11 April 2010

Graffiti - you may need shades








So, here we have it! My Graffiti soap.
Bit of a nightmare actually, and not exactly what I had in mind.
In mind beforehand was a fuchsia pink base, the black line, a purple layer & black line, lime green layer & black line, and brilliant blue top.
What I got after using lab colours was: An insipid pale pink, a blue purple, lime (ok, I'm loving the lime) and a blue top with silver glitter.
It smells sweet. A combo of freshly baked bread & lemons....so like lemon bread, whatever that is.
I'm so not sure about this. Matt loved it. I'm a bit miffed that I didn't get the colours out of the lab colours. When I mixed the pink, the batter was BRIGHT PINK but this must've reacted during the insulation period and turned back to almost natural soap. The pink was on the very base still but that's all.
I keep picking a chunk up and looking at it with a quizzical grin. Hmmm, I'm not sure. Don't think I like it but that acid lime green kicks ass.
I need a name. A good name. I've been looking through some of our books at home. We have 'Subway Art', Banksy flip books, 'Spraycan Art'....I shall trawl through and find something apt.
I've been a lover of this 'criminal' art for years and years, so what better way than to put it into soap.
I leave it to you to decide what you think. Feel free to be frank in your comments.
This soap shall be on sale in my Etsy in about a month. I shall update you. It will be cheap!

16 comments:

Amy Warden said...

Well, it's always disappointing when it doesn't turn out like looks in your head, but I'd say the lime green makes up for it!! I had a peculiar color issue with a pink as well, and I decided it was because I tried to mix my water-based TD with some FD&C red dye and the two repelled one another. It turned out white with a hint of pink on the outside of the soap.

fuwari said...

Wow, this looks absolutely stunning! I think it's actually better that it turned out the way it did. The neon yellow is like an accent color right now. :)

Jabonera said...

You have been wonderful, the color yellow is a nice contrast with the rest of the colors.

innerearthsoaps said...

Tiggy I love this soap the way it is, with the lime green contrasting with the more subdued colours ... it really does mind me of the colours of Graffiti, so that would be my name choice.

xxx

Monica said...

I think it´s wonderful, though it isn´t exactly what you had in mind. The contrast of colors is spectacular, I think that it´s a very worked soap and the name is very appropriate.
Kisses

Hellen said...

In my opinion, soap has a original combination of colors, in the style of a hippie.
Just it doesn't have smell patchouli, but maybe our contemporaries don't need patchouli. ;o)
I like it!
Sorry for my english...

Lavandine said...

This soap looks like fun! You asked me for a picture of the soap I made using your cocoa technique, you can see it at : http://lessavonsdelavandine.blogspot.com/2010/04/plummeria-hawaien.html.

It ran a bit when I cut it but I love it!

annia said...

I think its super beautiful :) Love the black lines between the layers! And I agree .. the lime green kicks ass :) A master piece in my eyes!

Topcat said...

Tiggy, it's awesome! And it really does reflect the colours used in a lot of graffiti I have seen, so the name is perfect! Have you tried the pop micas? They can be more stable in CP than the lab colours from what I have seen :)

Alexandra Mason said...

I really like it too, that lime green is fantastic! xx

FuturePrimitive said...

hello lovelies.
thank you kindly for the pos. feedback.
I've not called it Graffiti though...it's my graffiti inspired soap i've been dreaming up for the past week or so while.
After much aforethought, the name is quite simply 'VANDAL'. hehe

FuturePrimitive said...

week or so while...? dont mind me

Bath Oil said...

Beautiful looking soap! I'm used to soft colours but these are unique and brilliant

Luster Canyon said...

May not be what you had in mind, but I think it is stunning...and reminds me of stained glass. I just may have to check back and see when you post on etsy and snag a bar. :)

svsoaps said...

That is one gorgeous bar of soap!Love it.

Marta said...

A mi me gusta el colorido, creo que quedaría igual de fantástico si hubieras puesto abajo el amarillo.